2019 Scrapbook: Title Page

I feel like I’m stuck in this rut of being “behind” on all my projects, which has sucked a little of the creativity out of everything. This scrapbook layout has brought it back though! It felt so incredible to play with paper, patterns, and embellishments and to think critically about how to put it all together. I don’t think there is a better way to start my 2019 scrapbook album than that. I’m so in love with this layout and I’m so excited to be kicking off this years album with a bang.

Ever since I saw Elise Cripe’s 2014 scrapbook title page, I’ve been dying to try this technique. Not sure why I waited 5 years, but better late than never! She used a 12×12 pocket page with 3×4 pockets, so the quilt effect is a little different.

(click to photo above to enlarge for clearer view of scrapbook page)

For this layout, I used a 9×12 pocket page with 3×3 squares. Just a warning, this layout takes a bit of planning. And even when I had it planned out, I made several mistakes. I started by going through my old Messy Box 3×3 cards and pulling out some that I liked. After I saw some colors that I liked together, I started pulling out cards that matched the look. I started off with the blue woven patterns and yellow stars and slowly added in the black and white stars and burnt orange mugs. A lot of these colors aren’t ones that I would have normal put together, but adding one at a time and trying out all the cards helped me develop the color scheme.

After a handful of cards were picked and cut diagonally in half, I started picking some photos. This part was tricky. I had to find photos that could be cropped to 3×3 and then cut in half diagonally (side note, does anyone else always pronounce diagonally like Harry Potter when he’s trying to use floo powder for the first time in their heads when typing it?). I tried a few of me and Grant or of Astro, but our heads kept getting cut off, so I avoided those types of photos. I found a few I thought would work, printed them out, and then cut them in half. It took some planning before printing on what half would be cut, because I wanted some photos to be on the bottom half and some to be on the top, but also some on the right or left.

I knew I wanted some see-through pockets, so I went through my embellishments to find a few that would work. I was so happy to finally use the wood veneer stars, ‘today’ badge, and chipboard W, all of which I had been hoarding for some time. I think the ‘today’ badge came from my first Get to Work Book purchase in 2015 or Elise’s old stamp shop from even longer ago. I’m so glad it finally got used on such an exciting layout!
The photo above shows how I first had all the cards and photos laid out. I was so happy and sent it to a friend to tell her about it. It was when I started working on the back side, that I realized I had the whole thing messed up. I had to get rid of the calendar photo in the second pocket down on the left, because I had the pattern messed up. Fixing the pattern cause this photo to be upside down. The badge was an easy fix by just flipping the position. The bottom left corner was also wrong, but since they were both just paper I was able to easily flip those too. I was trying to create a diamond pattern, which from this first attempt was all wrong. Here are all the ways I had things flipped the wrong way:

Here is the pattern I decided to create to save myself from needed to flip basically everything:

This diamond and arrow pattern isn’t what I had in mind, but it allowed me to fix it without needing to redo the whole thing. Luckily, it’s such a busy layout that mistakes are easy to hide.

The back needed to be figured out before I could start fusing the pockets, because it would be melted closed and I wouldn’t be able to make changes afterward. I used the second half of the cards, plus a few more, to create a mirrored version of the front. Two of the pictures had halves that looked good on their own, so I included those on the back as well.

(click to photo above to enlarge for clearer view of scrapbook page)
Once I had my front and back figured out, I put all the bottom of the diagonal pieces in the pockets and fused them closed with the fuse tool. I recommend practicing the pressure first, so you know how hard to press the fuse tool. It can be really easy to not press hard enough for it to seal or press too hard where it cuts through the plastic. Once you get the hang of it, it can be so fun to work with!

After it was all sealed, I put the top half of the cards into their pockets and it was done! I’m so in love with how this page turned out. It was such a great creative exercise for playing with different materials and practice problem solving. It really helped me get back into the habit of scrapbooking and making stuff. Are you creating a 2019 scrapbook? How is your album going?

– Laura

Share:

2 Comments

  1. March 18, 2019 / 4:30 pm

    oh goodness I was just looking at an album I created from 2013 and it was awesome to look through all the events and pictures! Your title page is so great! So much detail!
    I have so many empty albums I need to force myself to sit and just have fun creating! 2019 was going to be my year of getting back into project life style of scrapbooking!

    Thanks for the motivation!
    xoxo
    jossie

    • March 18, 2019 / 9:24 pm

      Hi Jossie!

      Thank you so much for your sweet comment! It is so fun to look back at past albums. I’m trying to use that as motivation to finish all my unfinished albums! I hope the habit of working on the Project Life albums is coming back easily for you! Printing the photos is the hard part for me, after that it’s so fun!

      Thanks,
      Laura

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *